Exchange 2010 Server – Clients constantly prompting to Authenticate

There are MANY different causes to this issue (especially troubleshooting client-side) but the main thing to check server side is on the IIS settings on the CAS servers.  I had to make sure Basic and Windows auth was enabled on each of the following Virtual Directories: Autodiscover, EWS, OAB, and RPC

The strange thing was the Exchange Server reset the RPC folder Windows Auth to “disabled” after a few minutes. I found many posts that seem to point to an Exchange Managment Shell command that will prevent this from happening, and it worked for me (so far it hasn’t reset since I ran the command).  The command is this:

Get-OutlookAnywhere | Set-OutlookAnywhere -IISAuthenticationMethods:basic,ntlm

This is posted all over but it took a while to actually find references to this particular command would help prevent the RPC folder from resetting.  Makes sense when you think about it, as even if you change the settings in IIS Exchange didn’t really know that so you also need to tell Exchange that these auth settings are allowed on the folder.

One comment on “Exchange 2010 Server – Clients constantly prompting to Authenticate

  1. Amanda says:

    Thanks for a marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it,
    you may be a great author.I will make certain to bookmark your blog and may come back from now on.
    I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great
    posts, have a nice morning!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s